Age-in-Place Remodeling Services in Northern Virginia
There really is no place like home, and for those approaching a more mature age, the benefits of aging in place are far reaching—extending to financial, physical, and emotional wellbeing. While the concept continues to gain in popularity, few homes are designed to accommodate the needs of those with health or mobility restrictions or concerns, highlighting the need for age-in-place remodeling services.
WISA Solutions is a fully licensed and insured design build firm, dedicated to providing the highest quality of service using the finest quality materials. We have over 25 years of experience helping homeowners throughout Northern Virginia increase the functionality, safety, comfort, and efficiency of their homes in order to age in place with dignity and freedom.
Call WISA Solutions today at (571) 336-5626 to learn more about age-in-place remodeling in Northern Virginia, or any of our other design/build services. Contact us online to schedule a consultation or to let us know how we can help.
Aging in Place Design Features and Considerations
Universal design is the cornerstone for aging in place, designed to make a home safe, accessible, and comfortable for as long as possible. As a general rule, when building a new home or planning renovations, it can be beneficial to incorporate a few elements of design that may serve the current homeowners in the future, or visitors to the home, including:
- A full bathroom on the main floor
- One or more entrances to your home which have no steps
- Outlets and switches placed between 2 and 4 feet from the floor
- Doorway widths between 32 and 36 inches wide
- Hallway widths a minimum of 42 inches wide
- Reinforced wall around the toilet, bathtub, or shower to accommodate grab bars
The key to a successful age-in-place remodeling project is to hire a qualified, reputable design build firm to complete the work. Considerations should be given in the following areas:
You can significantly reduce the risk of slips and falls by implementing a number of changes to key elements and areas of your home, including:
- Flooring – Slip-resistant flooring is essential throughout the home, particularly in bathrooms and kitchens where moisture may be present. Eliminate throw rugs and area rugs and ensure wall to wall carpeting is low pile.
- Bathrooms – Grab bars should be installed around toilets and in the shower or bath, rated to bear a minimum of 250 pounds. Toilet height should be raised between 17 and 19 inches. A low- or no-threshold shower is preferred.
- Room placement – A bedroom and full bathroom on the main level is ideal to avoid the use of stairs.
- Lighting – Brighter lights, more lights, and lower switches (at an approximate height of 48 inches) can improve vision and accessibility.
As long as they follow safety guidelines, certain features are nice to add for improved comfort and enjoyment, such as:
- In-floor heating
- Heated towel racks
- Walk-in bathtub
- Central vacuum
Mobility issues can make it difficult to access certain areas or functions in your home. Solutions include:
- Lower countertops in kitchens and bathrooms
- Flush thresholds in exterior and interior doorways
- Lever handles for doors and faucets
- Laundry room on the main level
Age-in-Place Remodeling in Northern Virginia
Remain in the home you love by making some simple changes, adding custom features, and enhancing comfort, safety, and accessibility through strategic design. WISA Solutions is well acquainted with the features and adjustments that make aging in place as comfortable as possible and can make educated recommendations to make your home update as productive as possible.
Contact us online today to schedule a consultation for your age-in-place remodeling project in Northern Virginia!